Smiles always look best with sparkling white teeth (since showing yellow teeth in smiles is somewhat embarrassing). Thus it is important to maintain healthy, white teeth, both for health reasons and social reasons as well!
Teeth get yellow because the enamel gets broken down, due to cetain kinds of foods and the yellowish dentin underneath the enamel is revealed (which is the cause of the yellowness of the teeth).
The remedies described here are the natural ways of whitening the teeth instead of using toothpastes-which contain ingredients which can cause sensitivity issues in the teeth! Here are some of the natural ways to have a brighter smile:
BAKING SODA AND LEMON JUICE/WATER PASTE
Baking Soda, otherwise known as Sodium Carbonate, is moderately caustic and gently scrubs away the surface stains from the teeth. It is basic/alkaline in nature and is a great treat for those with acidic mouth. Since Lemon Juice is acidic in nature so it is best to use water and lemon juice at different intervals. Several teaspoons of baking soda, a toothbrush and lemon juice/water to make the paste are needed for this remedy.
- Make the paste by mixing several teaspoons of baking soda in water/lemon juice
- Wipe off any extra saliva off the teeth and apply the paste with the brush
- Brush for 1 minute, then rinse
- In case of water, it can be left for 3 minute
STRAWBERRY, SALT AND BAKING SODA SCRUB
Strawberries contain high amounts of Vitamin C which help in breaking down the plaque which make the teeth look yellow. Its enzymes help remove stains from teeth as well. The salt acts as physical caustic portion which removes the stains physically.
The baking soda is the optional choice here. 1-3 large strawberries and sea salt is needed for this. If you want to add baking soda, then ½ teaspoon will do.
- Mash the strawberries and add a pinch of sea salt to it with baking soda (if you want to add it)
- Wipe any extra saliva off the teeth and apply a large amount of paste with tooth brush
- Leave the paste for 5 minutes
Do this every night
COCONUT OIL RINSE
Rinsing the mouth with coconut oil is a technique which has been used since olden times. It will not only help maintain the whiteness of the teeth, it also looks after your gums as well. A tablespoon of coconut oil is needed for this.
- Before brushing the teeth, put a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth and swish it around and pull through the teeth for 10-15 minutes.
- After that spit it out, rinse your mouth and brush your teeth
The above mentioned pastes can be used to brush the teeth after the rinsing.
These remedies are not going to show immediate magic effects within a week and they are not going to make your teeth give off blinding shine when you smile. But they will slowly and gradually but definitely make your teeth whiter and your mouth healthier. The commercial products with celebrities involved in it seem to convince us that a celebrity is using it so it must be good but they are paid to do so. Never forget what’s healthier for your mouth and teeth. A celebrity involving toothpaste with God-knows-what in it or a home remedy which you are sure is better your teeth. I think the choice is a no brainer.